Monday, April 27, 2009

Frozen Fish and Bloody Ears

Why are my ears bleeding? Oh yes, because I watched Little Irvy (starring my friend Aaron) perform at Grumpy's yesterday for a benefit to buy former bartender Hank a new peg leg. I'm not making that part up, it's for his refurbished prosthesis.

Methinks the venue was perhaps a little small for the likes of a band with as much sound as Little Irvy, named for the iconic frozen whale that disappointed child after child on the Midway every August at the Minnesota State Fair. We'd pay the cover charge as kids, something measly but still a lot for us, and go inside to see the supposedly giant and real sea creature and it was nothing but a big frozen fish. The disappointment was palpable.

Not even a delightful Neko Case show at the State Theater after Little Irvy's performance at Grumpy's could stop the blood from flowing from my hearing canals. But unlike the frozen Little Irvy of my childhood, I'm willing to give live musical Little Irvy another chance. Just not anytime real soon.

2 comments:

Erik L. said...

I didn't know about Little Irvy at the MN State Fair. Went all the time, never even caught my eye. Great story, though.

Anonymous said...

Maybe we can have Aaron star as "Little Irvy" at the State Fair. We'll put him in a box and charge $5 bucks!

K