Saturday, April 18, 2009

Homemade Oreos

Baking on a weekend afternoon is something I love to do and something that I will miss come this summer when the weather turns sultry and taste buds turn to crave cool fruit and crunchy salads. But it's not summer yet, as beautiful as it was today, and after fitting in some outdoor time I made room for baking homemade Oreo cookies.

I'd read about these on smittenkitchen.com awhile back and vowed to try them, so easy they appeared to be. They did not disappoint. The cookie part couldn't have been faster to come together and the filling is just four ingredients blended in a mixer and piped onto an open-faced chocolate wafer. This is actually one of the faster cookies I've ever made, and totally delicious. Already I'm considering some alternatives I could try, using almond extract in the filling, or peppermint for the holidays. Thankfully the cold holidays are a ways off and for the next few months at least I can devote my weekends to summer pursuits and crunchy salads. And perhaps the occasional homemade Oreo.

2 comments:

Jude said...

The cookies look delicious, what time can I stop over for a sample?

Shirliana said...

Woah! What are you - Martha Stewart? Those look to die for! IMPRESSIVE!