Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I Love to Torture My Parents

Well, this answers a lot of my questions. I came across this old family photo tonight as I searched for inspiration to write, and for the first time I noticed something beyond how truly 1970's this is. Forget my mom's Carol Brady shag haircut, disregard my dad's Cheech & Chong mustache, don't even think about my brother's "I'm with Stupid" t-shirt and old school Coca-Cola glass, and brush past the fact that I pretty much look like a boy in my flared jeans. Concentrate instead on what's really going on in this picture. Notice my parents as they gaze, if not downright adore, my brother. It's like I'm not even there. They are so in love with their firstborn that they can't even be trusted to pose properly for a family photo. His very existence is a magnet for them, while I pose alone, lost in a sea of just me and the camera lens, barely a blip on my parents' radar.

And so it goes.

5 comments:

Gordo said...

Did I tell you that Dave came over and shoveled our walks for us the other night?

Cousin Jo said...

Good one, Gord. Sorry Deb, but we all know that you were too adorably outspoken to be ignored. Nice try, though. And you do have an awsome brother!

gorriĆ³n said...

Aw, do you really believe that? I bet your brother just belched or farted and everybody's laughing at him. That pic was taken right before your mom smacked him in the head, though... Besides, your dad looks like he's pretty in love with you! :D

GLOGIRLY said...

Somehow I'm pretty sure you will always be their little girl. : )

...hey! I had that exact same I'm With Stupid t-shirt! Spencer Gifts, Southdale. circa 1978. My best friend and I bought the same shirt. And yes, we called each other to plan out the next day's wardrobe selections.

Anonymous said...

Well, your brother is kinda amazing. He manages to make surprise appearances in the background of my blog pictures.

This is me catching up on my blog reading!