Thursday, March 5, 2009

Lime + Coconut = Together Forever

Yesterday I had the good fortune of scoring a nearly full bag of key limes left over from a photo shoot at work and I was determined that they weren't going to go to waste as I never bother to purchase them on my own.

So tonight I came home from work and immediately began zesting the tiny limes and then juicing them. It is amazing the amount of juice you can get from these little gems. I already had the recipe in mind, one I'd been thinking about for a week or so that I'd seen on one of my favorite food blogs, smittenkitchen.com. Lime Coconut Cake. And if that weren't good enough, the taste of limes and coconuts, add to that lime rum icing. What could be better? It's practically a trip to the Caribbean without the spendy airfare. The cake was putzy to put together, creating my own self-rising flour and toasting the coconut (which I always overdo), but the result was worth every minute of trouble. This is a spectacular cake, moist and pretty and bursting with flavor that dances across your palate.

Lime and coconut, will you marry me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are there any leftovers?

Anonymous said...

please drop a few slices off (or better yet, make another one!) and leave on porch of 3000 Edgerton Street.

Do this immediately!

Signed Anonymous