Monday, July 27, 2009

Tuna Poke

I love to cook, bake, prepare food – all that stuff. But I really read more about it than I do it, with the exception of baking which I pretty much do constantly. I'm somewhat lazy and sandwiches are just so easy to make for dinner so why go to too much trouble? But last weekend a sale on Hawaiian fish at Coastal Seafoods inspired me to venture out and make something I've eaten before, but never prepared myself.

Poke (pronounced POH-kay) is a Hawaiian staple, a simple dish often prepared there in paradise. It could not be simpler to make but, honestly, here in Minnesota it's too expensive to be a staple of my own diet. Sushi grade tuna is not cheap, but as a once-in-a-while treat – aloha! I simply diced up some fresh sweet onion I picked up at the farmer's market along with some green onions from the same place, diced up some jalapeno pepper, toasted some sesame seeds, diced up some ahi tuna, and tossed it all together with some toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. The mixture marinated for an hour in the fridge and when it was done I had a light and tasty raw tuna dinner that made me feel light and airy and like I should do the hula. I'm looking forward to making it for friends at parties, once I hit the lottery. Until then, I'll keep bringing the black bean dip.

1 comment:

Shutome said...

Did you ask your fishmonger for an alternative? Marlin and albacore tuna are very traditional and cost much less. Ono grinds.

Mahalo sistah.