Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Unrequited Wave

As I turned the final corner in my car on my way home from work tonight, I noticed my neighbor walking her dog. I love her dog, it's the one that looks like a giant fruit bat and a mini-doberman made love and produced the perfect bat/dog hybrid. I was happy to see her and the dog, so imagine my humiliation when I excitedly raised my hand and waved it vigorously in my neighbor's direction, only to be completely ignored as I passed her. I know with absolute certainty that she did not see me and yet, for some reason, the pain still sears. Thoughts crowded my head about the wasted wave, the opportunity lost, and the fear that somebody saw me wave and nobody waving back. It's almost too much to bear. Oh, how I abhor the unrequited wave.

No comments: