Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Brady Bunch

I'm not much of a museum person, unless it's a weird museum like the National Museum of Funeral History in Houston or the freaky little museum on the creepy Island of the Dolls in Xochimilco, Mexico. But every time I go to Cuernavaca, I like to visit the Robert Brady Museum because it is a melange of all the art I would collect if I weren't so lazy. Or poor.

Robert Brady, who looked remarkably like Robert Goulet in his later years, was born in Iowa many, many years ago and eventually moved to Cuernavaca where he lived in a beautiful colonial home that he decorated in vibrant colors and with art he collected from all over the world. He lived there with his dachshunds, Rice and Beans, whose ashes are buried alongside Mr. Brady's in the courtyard of the museum. Every foot of the home is tastefully decorated and homey in a way that not even my own home is. I could move into this museum tomorrow and be very happy, even if visitors were walking through looking at my stuff for a $2 cover charge. It's that stunning. As long as they don't touch the original Frida Kahlo painting in my salon, above, we'll all get along just fine.


No comments: