Tuesday, February 3, 2009

They Say It Has No Memory

I'm just days away from that moment I think of often when my toes first dig into the hot Mexican sand and the salty ocean water creeps slowly up my exposed feet, the liquid feeling somewhere between cool and warm, so unfamiliar that I can't really tell which it is. Sometimes thinking about that moment is all that I have to get me through these cold Minnesota winters.

In the movie Shawshank Redemption Andy tells Red (whose real first name in the film is Ellis, a fine name if ever I heard one) during their stay in prison that someday he would be found living his life south of the border on the shores of the Pacific Ocean. "You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?" Andy asks Red. "They say it has no memory. That's where I'd like to finish out my life, Red. A warm place with no memory."

No comments: