Monday, June 1, 2009

The Dirty Joke

Gudrun grabbed her floppy right breast through her paisley pattern blouse and shook the aged body part at me, laughing wildly and speaking in her native Swedish. At the care center last week, it seemed like she was sharing a funny joke and that the punch line was the breast grab, but I can't really say because I can spend an hour straight feeding Gudrun and not understand a single word she's saying. Hopefully she doesn't know that I don't understand, I try to respond with a reaction that seems like it might be appropriate for the given situation. I pepper my "conversations" with Gudrun with lots of comments like "that is so true!" and "you've got to be kidding!" Apparently last Wednesday I unknowingly responded in the positive to her when she said, "Want to hear a dirty joke?" Considering what happened, I will be rethinking my conversation strategy this week.

1 comment:

Cousin Jo said...

I your Blog. The writing and the photography. This photo of the hosta is incredible! You have a great eye.