Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sea Salt Eatery

Just my luck, it seems, that when I make outdoor plans, it always rains. Perhaps it's my imagination, but I don't think so. So it was with some trepidation, and ultimately extreme delight, that tonight I made plans to meet up with my triathlon girlfriends while the sun was shining and the birds were singing and even all those usually noisy little kids were cute as buttons. 

We met up at Sea Salt Eatery, a casual little fish restaurant ensconced in the park building at Minnehaha Falls. You stand in line to order and then find a plastic table and wait for the staff to call out your name and carry out your delicious food, served on plastic plates and with plastic utensils. The place was started by a couple of guys who have put in many years working at the Twin Cities' most celebrated fish supplier, Coastal Seafoods, and serves everything from oysters on the half shell to shrimp etouffee. Along with awesome seafood platters they serve several Summit beers on tap, as well as some other great selections, and wine, too. The place is a little slice of plastic heaven.

Tonight I tried the daily soup special, which was really more like a stew after it was poured on a bed of rice, but it would have been great either way. It was a Thai Pineapple Red Curry Shrimp Soup and came loaded with giant mushrooms and baby corn and red peppers. The pineapple was canned and it really would've sung with some fresh stuff, but even that fact couldn't ruin it. Eating spicy shrimp outside in the sun with a side of the tastiest calamari around along with a Bell's Oberon from the tap, all while laughing with good friends, made me think that perhaps, just perhaps, my luck is changing.

No comments: