Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thwarting Flatulence

I don't have much of a green thumb. It's not that I kill stuff, it's just that I never really try to grow anything. I'm too big a fan of instant gratification to enjoy the painfully long process that is entailed by growing plants. But each year I give something small a try and this year is no different. I'm being smart about it by choosing two herbs so hardy that it's almost a challenge to kill them. I hope those aren't famous last words.

In the orange pot is that delicious miniature pine tree known as rosemary, delicious in breads and on meats. In the white pot you see epazote, a Mexican herb typically used when cooking beans, both to add an earthy flavor and to help remove one of the less savory aspects of eating beans. Yes, I'm talking about flatulence. Everyone should appreciate epazote, even if they don't necessarily know why. 

No comments: