Monday, December 15, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside

When I left for work this morning it was only six degrees below zero, and it didn't get much warmer throughout the day. It was miserable scraping off my car with the wind whipping exposed facial parts into a special kind of redness usually reserved only for those suffering from a nasty skin disease. When I stopped at the BP to fuel up my Pearlie, the gas cap door was frozen shut and I spent several minutes prying it open with a key while my fingers froze in a claw-like position. It's now nine degrees below zero which is forty-seven degrees colder than it was yesterday afternoon. Only in Minnesota.

I wanted to take a photo that would tell the story of just how cold it is here right now, but I know that's impossible. I settled for this shot of a lifeguard stand and a boat left on Lake Calhoun far too late into the season. I keep forgetting why I continue to live here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb! I'm so glad you're back. Now that the year is winding down, what are your thoughts on continuing to write? Are you looking forward to the break? I hope to see your posts often if you're not quite up to the daily routine. It has been a real treat to be able to tune in every day. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cousin Jo! It's weird getting so close to the end of my year of writing daily. I feel a little bad because I've coasted for the past few weeks due to technical difficulties, so maybe to equal as close to a full year as possible I'll continue every day into the new year for a few weeks. I'll definitely keep going, on a regular basis, but it will be nice not to come home from a long day at work followed by the nursing home and then dinner and drinks with friends and then feel like I have to produce something when I'm exhausted! But I've come to enjoy this, so I'm definitely going to keep it up. So stay tuned!