Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Savory or Sweet?

The other night I took my first shot at cooking Indian food, toasting and grinding whole spices to create my own garam masala. I used it to flavor a pot of chickpeas, along with ginger and tomatoes and onions, but something didn't taste quite right in the end. I'm not sure if it's because it's just a recipe I don't particularly care for or I did something wrong, but I tend to think it's the latter. Maybe I should stick to the sweet stuff. As I write this I'm waiting for my first ever creme brulee to cool off. I tempered whipped egg yolks and sugar with hot cream and vanilla and baked the six individual ramekins in a water bath. My friend Laura very generously gave me a kitchen torch for my birthday and I'm super excited to burn the sugar on top of the creme brulee custard on Christmas day! If the custard I'm making now is any indication, the family is going to have one awesome Christmas dessert. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: