Sunday, November 22, 2009

Jive Turkey

Last Wednesday night at the nursing home, Alma was perusing a catalog of old time music. I asked her what kind of music she enjoyed listening to and she seemed confused, so I pointed to the Elvis CD for sale in the catalog and asked her if she liked to listen to Elvis Presley. "Oh yes, I like Elvis," she told me. Rosalie overheard our conversation and commented that she, too, liked Elvis. I asked Rosalie if she knew any Elvis songs and she suddenly broke into the King's hit Are You Lonesome Tonight? I sang along with her, helping her along at parts she had forgotten. The nurses on the floor laughed, saying they'd never heard Rosalie break into song like that. As Rosalie continued singing, alternating between Are You Lonesome Tonight? and O Holy Night, and sometimes singing both interwoven as the same song, I told Mary that she wasn't eating enough and I wanted her to eat more. Rosalie, hearing this, announced that we at our table were all "jive turkeys." Laughing on the inside, I asked her why she was calling us all jive turkeys. She answered that it was because nobody at the table was eating. She said whoever is eating is not a jive turkey. I looked at her plate, still full of ham and potatoes because she was too busy singing to eat, and said, "Then you must be a jive turkey, Rosalie, because you're not eating!" Rosalie couldn't believe she was having her super cool term, jive turkey, thrown right back at her and didn't know what to say. Mattie, who was clearly sick of listening to Rosalie belt out Elvis tunes, laughed and said to Rosalie, "She got you!"

Today I picked up an Elvis CD to bring to the nursing home next week. It should be interesting!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome story you jive turkey!!

BK said...

I think it should be quite fun too when you bring the Elvis CD to the nursing home. :)

GLOGIRLY said...

I think it should be quite fun too if you were to show up in full Elvis regalia when you bring the Elvis CD to the nursing home. ; )

Certainly you must have a rhinestone studded jump suit laying around.

Anonymous said...

haha jive turkey thats classic! I cant believe she called you that! And imagine her face when the jive turkeyer become the jive turkeyee! Hilarious!

Monica Roberts said...

Jive turkey back in the 70's was NOT a complimentary term. If someone called you that, they were questioning your intelligence or insinuating you BSed your way through situations because you didn't know what you were talking about.