Sunday, November 29, 2009

Twice as Nice

Having a birthday on Thanksgiving like I did this week brings something quite delightful – twice the usual desserts! In addition to the pecan pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cream cheese swirl pie, and coconut bundt cake (what can I say, I have a giant family and my Cousin Megan and I love to bake!), there were two birthday cakes. One was the beloved DQ ice cream cake that the kids all happily devoured in about two seconds, and then there was the Wuollet's cake (pictured below) that shows me doing what I love, riding my bike with Hakeem. You can tell it's me because of my thin, athletic frame and flat chest. You can tell it's Hakeem because he's orange and very active. Could it be any cuter or more delicious? No, it could not. As for the pumpkin cream cheese swirl pie, this is the first time I've made it but it will now be the standard bearer for pumpkin pies in my household. It's really quite easy and it breaks up the solid mass of pumpkin custard that I actually love but some people find to be too much for them.

If you think my birthday celebration is over, think again. This morning will be the family get-together (Thanksgiving didn't count because we have to get together for that!) at Maria's Cafe for Cachapas Venezolanas with Cotija Cheese – giant Venezuelan sweet corn pancakes with a salty, powdery cheese on top plus maple syrup, and this week Brasa for dinner with my Hags. I'll never understand why people want to deny their birthdays, it doesn't get any better than this!

2 comments:

SquirrelGirl said...

That is probably the cutest cake I have ever seen and of course I knew right away it was you and the big guy...

GLOGIRLY said...

Ok now I'm starving. My favorite thing in the world is cake. And my favorite thing in the world is Wuollet's cake! ....that frosting...oh my....I get a high just thinking about it. The cake is beautiful! They did such a great job on it! I had them do a custom cake once for Glo. I had a Walker Texas Ranger themed party for him. Don't ask. The cake was amazing!

I might have to make that pumkin wonder for Glo. His two favorites are pumpkin pie and cheesecake so I think this one looks like a home run. Are you a recipe sharerer? : )