Thursday, November 12, 2009

Stalking Tarzan


Unwittingly, I've been following in the wet footsteps of Olympic swimmer and, more famously, Tarzan actor Johnny Weissmuller. I don't have many memories of the handsome European as I didn't grow up watching a lot of Tarzan, but I've grown to appreciate his contributions to pop culture. I mean, he was Tarzan!

I first started accidentally following Mr. Weissmuller several years ago when I read about a hotel in Acapulco that was sort of forgotten up on the highest cliffs in this coastal Pacific city. My aim was to spend one night in Acapulco on the way from Mexico City to my fishing village paradise south of Acapulco. I wanted to be close to the famous cliff divers of La Quebrada, so when I stumbled across the Hotel Los Flamingos, just blocks away, I was excited. I'm pretty sure many of my readers have been there with me, right? Holla for Tarzan! Turns out Los Flamingos was once owned by Weissmuller and his band of funsters which included John Wayne, Fred McMurray, and Errol Flynn. That would have been enough excitement for me, but then another Weissmuller coincidence found its way into my life when a chance trip to Chicago led me to the twelfth floor pool at the InterContinental Hotel.

The junior Olympic swimming pool area at the InterContinental, considered an engineering marvel in its day many decades ago, is a gorgeous melange of intricate Mediterranean tiles, stained glass windows, and wicker tables and chairs in the gallery that make you feel like you're going back in time. No wonder Johnny Weissmuller was known to have taken a dip in the pool there, and no wonder I'm stalking him. Now if I could only find out that he spent some amount of time in a certain pool in Tahiti, I'd be ready for my next trip.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You realize, don't you, that you're now following in MY footsteps more than Johnnys... what with the Chicago trip (my hometown), dressing up as me (which I do every day), and now mentioning Tahiti, which is the place I plan to go myself someday. Before you know it, you'll be eating iceberg lettuce salads and telling Dupont he's a dork. Oh wait... you're halfway there already!

GLOGIRLY said...

Hey, there could certainly be worse pop culture icons to follow! I hope you are working on your Tarzan "call."

Big News!
Katie has given you an award. WooHoo!!!! Bet you never got an award from a cat before. Especially one that appears to well, loathe you. Sorry, oh cat sitter extraordinaire. You can visit her blog to claim your "prize."