Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dateline Ghana

The people have spoken in Ghana and John Atta Mills of the National Democratic Congress party has been elected the next president of my favorite West African nation. It was a tight run-off that resulted in a victory of just 50.23% to 49.77% over Nana Akufo-Addo of the New Patriotic Party. Now that's close and reminds me of a certain political race occurring a little closer to home. I don't know enough about the race in Ghana to have an opinion on how this win will affect the country, but I do know that I have high hopes for the future of my former home away from home. 

Mr. Atta Mills has his work cut out for him as Ghana just recently discovered oil in off-shore locations that will surely bring money and heartache in equal proportions starting next year. But hopefully he's up for the task because this country has worked hard since becoming the first sub-Saharan African country to gain independence from colonial rule. And the fine folks of Ghana, who make the most kickass goat kabob and beer around, deserve a break of monumental proportions. 

1 comment:

Mann M. Hawks said...

I like the spicy pangolin and a nice can of Shitto. And a little palm wine to wash it all down.