Tuesday, January 27, 2009

You Say Potato

Like guacamole, there are a million ways you can enjoy delicious cheesy nachos. At my beloved Maxwell's, risen from the ashes, they not only serve the classic tortilla chip nachos, but a version made with waffle fries called Idaho Nachos. I'd never tried them because I always order the regular kind instinctively, but last night my coworkers Clarice and Muriel joined me to find out why I so like Maxwell's nachos and to try this interesting tuber variety. 

It was happy hour, which meant half priced appetizers and discounted Blue Moon beers. This combination makes all the world's troubles melt away, if only for a little while. I liked the Idaho Nachos, even though they were a little overcooked, because they have bacon sprinkled on them. As everyone knows, everything is better with bacon. But they suffered a bit by virtue of just being too filling right off the bat, you don't even have time to enjoy them before you're full because of the dense fried potatoes. The other problem is they are served with ranch dressing. I get why Maxwell's does this, to differentiate the waffle fry nachos from the traditional, but they would have been better with sour cream or seasoned sour cream. So we live and we learn the important things in life. The regular nachos were tasty as usual. They weren't stellar, but they always win because of the perfectly spiced chicken and the great salsa and the hot, sliced jalapenos. It goes without saying that the Blue Moons served in frosty mugs were as refreshing as always, even in this sub-zero weather.

Clarice and Muriel tell me they really liked Maxwell's nachos. They're different from the time we tried the nachos at Tejas in Edina, which were good in a fancy-dancy way with handmade guacamole. Just different. Next time we're off to Keegan's (yes, an Irish bar for nachos) to try the Irish Nachos there, a variation on the Idaho Nachos but even better. I can hardly wait.

No comments: