Friday, January 2, 2009

The Folks At Dannon Are Going To Be Mad

In my continuing effort to make everything more difficult than it has to be, I've tried making my own yogurt. I know what you're thinking: yogurt sucks. And you're right. But I try to eat it daily anyway because I'm supposed to and because I always do what I'm told. However, one can go broke buying good quality plain yogurt, so I needed to find an alternative. As with everything in my life, I did lots of research and finally purchased a yogurt maker based on good reviews and a generous coupon from the fine folks at Bed, Bath & Beyond

Today I heated the milk, organic 2% in this case, on the stove until bubbly around the edges and steaming in the middle, then added a tablespoon of store-bought yogurt (that's where you get the culture from that makes your gut so happy) and performed a little trickery and spilled on my countertops. I'm hoping that part improves with practice. Then I filled the little glass jars and set them in the maker for ten hours and--voila!--yogurt. It actually looks pretty thin and not very appetizing, but yogurt never looks very appetizing so I'm probably on track.

My yogurt creation is chilling now, so I won't find out till tomorrow if I need to go back to the drawing board. But I'm hoping that plenty of homegrown honey from my little cousin John's apiary in Andover and some cinnamon and a banana will make the whole deal palatable. I'm not cool enough to appreciate plain yogurt on its own merits yet, so this is what I need to do to choke it down. Please remind me, why did I decide to make my own yogurt again?

No comments: